Boote magazine in Germany recently completed a review of 15hp outboard engines from six different manufacturers; Honda, Yamaha, Selva, Mercury, Suzuki and Tohatsu.
All motors were accompanied by a suitable range of standard propellers as well as thrust propellers. Conventional technology and cutting-edge technology went head to head: Honda, Selva and Yamaha fitted with carburetors, and Mercury, Suzuki and Tohatsu equipped with electronically controlled fuel injection systems.
Yamaha’s outboard came in at the heaviest weighing 57.1kgs, while Tohatsu came in at the lightest 44.87kgs. When analysing measured data such as the thrust values, ranges and fastest speed, Honda comes in 1st place, tied with Mercury.
The Suzuki outboard motor was classified in second place: in terms of technology and range in the mid sector, it would could have been awarded first place, but its fuel consumption falls short of the Honda when plaining. The Tohatsu occupies third place, followed by Yamaha and Selva.
Honda Ireland currently have stock available of Honda marine engines ranging from 2.3hp engines to 250hp.
If you’re interested in finding out more information on Honda outboard engines, you can get directions to your local dealer here.
Overview of Results:
Honda Marine is renowned for it’s quality and reliability when out on the open water.
We’ve got Honda outboards as large as 250hp, but today we are all talk about the small but mighty outboards available at the lower end of the spectrum.
The Honda BF4, BF5 and BF6 are the newest kids on the block. Released in 2017 they are all compact, portable and easy to use. They joined the BF2.3hp to kick off the Honda Marine range with plenty of power.
The range are all 4-stroke, 1 cylinder and come in 2 different options – long or short shaft. Opt for short shaft and the length will be 434mm, while long will give you an extra 127mm, coming in at 561mm. The 4/5/6 all weigh in at 27.0 – 27.5kg, depending on whether you need long or short shaft.
Some of the best features about the smaller Honda outboards are:
- Easy to transport & store – take them off the boat when you’re finished, eliminating theft and enabling you to keep your Honda in safe hands.
- Extended running time – They have a large internal fuel tank, allowing you to hit the open water for longer.
- Easy start – they are fitted with Honda’s decompression mechanism, which means you’re not straining or struggling starting your outboard.
- Low vibration – very important when you’re out on the water! The low vibration allows for the smoothest journey possible.
- Oil Alert – an inbuilt oil alert gives you warning when there is any drop in oil pressure.
- Keep those batterys charged – the range will charge batteries up to 6A, perfect for all your portable electronics.
- No collecting weeds or sea flora – to prevent damage to the propeller you can tilt the shaft forward when in shallow water, there’s a spring lock to keep it in place as long as you need.
- Plenty of punch – 127 cm³ engine that not only provides efficient acceleration, but still supplies high levels of torque.
- Distinctive Honda Silver – the engines comes in Honda’s trademark silver colour, reflecting the sunsets you’re bound to see when out on the ocean.
- They’re made to be a perfect fit for our Honwave inflatable range.
For more on this group of Honda outboards click here & to find your local Honda Marine dealer click here.