You’ve invested in a Honda Marine outboard engine and you’re all set for the water, how do you keep that outboard in the best condition possible?
Follow our easy guide:
- Correct service intervals: Read your Owners Manual and know when your outboard is due it’s regular service at the correct intervals. If you use your outboard engine in demanding or commercial conditions it may need more frequent servicing. Your dealer can tell you more about this.
- Use the professionals: Your Honda Marine Authorised Dealer is best placed to maintain and repair your machine on a regular, ongoing basis. We advise that any maintenance or repair be performed by the dealer you bought the equipment from, because they know it better than anyone else.
- Genuine Parts: To make sure you get the best quality and reliability, we recommend you use only new Honda genuine parts.
- Always check the oil level before you start the outboard
- Listen for irregular sounds upon starting.
- Check that the water to be used for engine cooling is flowly freely
- Check the propeller and cotter pin are secure
- Check that all bolts and fastenings are tight and the engine is secured to the boat.
- Check the anode
- Check the fuel lines
- Check the emergency stop switch
- Check the tightness of the battery cable and connection
- Check for coolant leaks after use
- Always thoroughly rinse off, or flush out salt water with clean fresh water to stop corrosion.
- Grease the engine lubrication points
- If you’re storing the engine for a long time, disconnect the battery and drain any fuel that’s left in the tank.
- If your Honda is for commercial use, long hours of work may determine more frequent maintenance checks.
There’s nothing better than heading out on the open water, make sure you don’t get caught out by following the list above. if you ever have any outboard queries your Local Honda Marine Dealer can assist you.
Explore the range of Honda Outboards here.